The University College of Engineering commenced in the year 1929 with an intake of 15 students, and Civil Engineering as the course of study. The College moved into the present majestic building in the year 1947 with the Department of Civil Engineering; the College grew from strength to strength and other branches of Engineering commenced later. It has the distinction of being the sixth oldest engineering institution of the country.
Currently, the Department admits 60 candidates for the Under-Graduate programme and 50 for the Post-Graduate Courses each year, and also offers part time Post-Graduate courses for the benefit of working Engineers of the twin cities, admitting 45 candidates annually. The Post-Graduate programmes are offered with specialisation in Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydromechanics & Water Management, and Construction Engineering and Management. The Department has doctoral programmes as well, and has about 25 candidates enrolled.
The Department provides research and consultancy services to various public and private sector organisations, and receives research and modernisation grants from UGC, DST, MHRD, and AICTE. The Department has celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1979 and Diamond Jubilee in 1989. The Platinum Jubilee was celebrated in the year 2004 - 2005.