DEPARTMENT OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
Phone: 040-27090083, 27682233, Website: bmeosmania.ac.in
Biomedical Engineering graduate is expected to be
- A versatile chemical-electro-mechanical-computer engineer.
- Well acquainted with the hospital and health care arenas.
- Competent in applying Biomedical Engineering in clinical care and Healthcare Engineering in health care delivery.
Biomedical Engineering constitutes human beings earliest efforts to understand the living world in terms of the basic sciences and to comprehend the body mechanism in terms of their technological creations. Biomedical Engineering involves the study and application of engineering processes for diagnosis and therapy.
Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a rapidly changing interdisciplinary domain, in which each branch of engineering interacts with a number of other disciplines to yield a fundamental understanding of health maintenance processes and improved diagnosis, optimal interventional (surgical, Therapeutic & rehabilitative) procedures, prosthesis and organ assist systems, health care systems performance and econometrics.
Osmania University is the first University to start Biomedical Engineering at undergraduate level in the country. The course was started in the year1982 with an intake of 10 students in the Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering. An exclusive Biomedical Engineering Department was formed in the year 1993 to give the much needed thrust to Programme. The student intake was enhanced to 30 in the year 1996.The Department moved to its present premises in the year 1997.
The Department has been engaged in research and consultancy projects. It received research grants from various government agencies such as AICTE; DST etc., The Department established a Biomedical Instrumentation centre (BMIC) to cater to the needs of medical profession. The Department has also started Post Graduate program in Medical Electronics in the academic year 2006-2007.The Department Building was extended by 5400 sqft of plinth area in the academic year 2007. The total floor space is about 10800 Sqft which houses class rooms, laboratories and other amenities.
Undergraduate: B.E (BME)
Post Graduate : M.E (Medical Electronics)
Doctorial Programs: PhD (Biomedical Engineering)
Our mission is
- To produce the students with an interdisciplinary knowledge who can understand and apply the basic engineering principles in the medical field.
- To produce the Biomedical Engineers who can serve the medical fraternity in design and development of Medical Equipments, implants, and other devices this is in immense use by the society.
- Basic Engineering-Science courses .
- Medical Sciences (Anatomy,Physiology, Biochemistry).
- Engineering Technology courses.
- Clinical Sciences courses(Medicine & Surgery).
- Biomedical Engineering courses.
- MNC's like SIEMENS MEDICAL SOLUTIONS as a Biomedical Engineer.
- IIT's or Universities in India/Abroad for Masters Programme or Ph.D Programme.
- Hospitals as a Biomedical Engineer.
- KPO (knowledge Process out Sourcing) based Companies as a Knowledge Scientist.
- IP(Intellectual Property) field.
- Society as a good Entrepreneur.
The Curriculum includes the following subjects
Out comes: After completion of the course the students may find place in